Apply Now | NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship in Folk/Traditional Arts
Artists in New York State: apply for a $7,000 cash award!
Image: Hongyi He (Fellow in Folk/Traditional Arts ’12), Miao Woman, 2008, rice paper
The NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship is a $7,000 unrestricted cash award open to individual and collaborative artists living and working in New York State. Fellowships are offered in 15 different disciplines over a three-year period; Folk/Traditional Arts is one of five categories offered this award cycle. Other categories include Fiction, Interdisciplinary Work, Painting, and Video/Film. The Folk/Traditional Arts category is a good fit for you if your work is traditionally practiced within and among ethnic, regional, occupational, and religious groups, as well as other kinds of communities with a common identity.
Accepted work includes performing traditions in music, dance, and drama; traditional storytelling and other verbal arts; festivals; traditional crafts, visual arts, architecture, the adornment and transformation of the built environment; and other kinds of folk culture. The category does not include work involving choreography, theatricalization, or stylization that significantly alters traditions.
Deadline: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 11:59 PM (EST)
- Work Statement – 100 words
- Technical Statement – 200 words (optional)
- Excerpt Explanation – 400 words (optional)
- Cultural Statement – 700 words
- Work Samples – 10 digital images with descriptions and/or 1 to 2 videos and 2 excerpts
- You must be 25 years old or older
- You must be a current resident of New York State and/or one of the Indian Nations located in New York State, and have been a resident for at least the last two consecutive years prior to the application deadline (2016 and 2017)
- At the time of the application deadline you must not be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of any kind
- You must not have received a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship in any disciplines in the last five years (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), and cannot submit any artwork samples that have been previously awarded a NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship
- Fellowships are not awarded to interpretive artists such as dancers or actors; applicants must be the originators of the work; i.e., choreographers or playwrights
- Artists that have been awarded five NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships receive Emeritus Status and are no longer eligible to apply
- You must not be a NYFA employee, member of the NYFA Board of Trustees or Artists’ Advisory Committee, an immediate family member of any of the above, or an immediate family member of a 2017–2018 panelist
Visit Submittable to start your application.
For more information about the NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship, read the 2018 Application Overview, review the guidelines for Folk/Traditional Arts, and consult our Frequently Asked Questions page.
NYFA is pleased to announce that the name of this award has changed to NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowship. NYSCA/NYFA Artist Fellowships are administered with leadership support from New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
NEW YORK FOLKLORE SOCIETY ♦ 129 Jay Street ♦ Schenectady, NY 12305 ♦ 518.346.7008 ♦ Fax 518.346.6617 ♦ email@example.com