About the New York Folklore Society
- The New York Folklore Society values the rights and needs of all New Yorkers to express and practice the traditions that have always been a part of New Yorks story.
- All people are welcome to utilize our programs and services.
- New York Folklore Society is committed to providing services with integrity, in a manner that conveys respect for the dignity of the individuals and the communities NYFS serves and their cultures, including ethnic, religious, occupational, and regional traditions.
- NYFS seeks to foster respect for, and interest in, folklore and to promote cross-cultural understanding.
- NYFS strives to support folklorists, tradition bearers, and community scholars and to cultivate the general publics interest in these traditions.
- NYFS advocates with policymakers to embrace the study and practice of folklore.
- NYFS actively promotes the continuation of our folklife to ensure our cultural vitality, now and in the future.
|READ the Albany Times Union report by Wendy Liberatore|
Folklore Society Preserves Culture
Karenni weavings, Latino music and Battenkill River stories don’t seem to have much in common. But folklorists know they do. They all are cultural expressions
that are communally shared and thus embody a way of life. If not appreciated and
carefully preserved, these unifying expressions could become extinct.
New York Folklore Society is ensuring that does not happen... Read the interview here.
FIND OUT ABOUT OUR...
MISSION & HISTORY
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT NYFS
OUR BOARD & STAFF MEMBERS
Executive Director Ellen McHale in the Gallery
OUR PRESS RELEASES
HOW TO CONTACT US